Monday, June 7, 2010

No time for blog, Dr. Jones!

Oh. My. Crap.
How is it time for midterms already?

The phrase "accelerated nursing program" colossally understates the amount of acceleration going on around here. We have had just two weeks of classes-- minus time for orientation, the hello breakfast, and Memorial Day off-- and that already puts us halfway through the first semester. I thought I knew what I was getting myself into, but the reality of it is doing weird things to my brain.

For instance, I have a list of 21 topics I need to know for my Health Assessment exam on Tuesday. It doesn't sound like a lot, but that's just the high-level topics, and each covers a large part of a textbook chapter. One of those topics is "General Survey," and that is made up of four sections: physical appearance, body structure, mobility, and behavior. The "Physical Appearance" section then subdivides into five things: age, gender development, facial features, skin tone, and level of consciousness. Each of those has a list of things to look for and comparisons to make.

I tried to expand the whole topic tree in the form of flashcards, but I didn't have enough cards to make it work.

(Index cards come in packs of a hundred and fifty, BTW.)

And that's just one of three exams I have this week! It would have been four, but the holiday last week pushed our Monday class out of synch with the others. I'm definitely not going to complain about that.

I expect I'll feel a whole lot more confident after I sit the first exam tomorrow. A lot of my uncertainty is just because I haven't seen what kind of test these professors write. I know that I'm great at memorizing, but who knows how good I am at thinking like a nurse?

No comments:

Post a Comment