Wednesday, August 4, 2010

One Down

Summer semester is done!

Since the end of May I have completed six classes. This works out to seventeen credits, twenty-one exams and labs, eighty hours of clinicals, a large pile of homework, and some seriously heavy amounts of studying.

(Hence the lag in blog posts.)

While decluttering my desk just now, I gathered up all the flashcards that I made for studying over the course of the semester. The stack is too tall to balance by itself. Judging by the empty packages I left lying around, I've got more than one thousand cards piled up here.

That's at least one thousand distinct facts and rationales I have learned, that I didn't know ten weeks ago. Wild! Want to know the difference between hypovolemic shock and septic shock? How to assess and respond to a morphine overdose? What to worry about when a patient is in atrial fibrillation? The appropriate way to deal with an angry family member? All of that and much, much more has found its way into my bony little cranium.

I'm not even close to being the kind of expert a nurse needs to be, but I'm starting to understand how I will get there.

4 comments:

  1. You are smert! Smerter than the average Brian, even!

    It was great to see you last night. Glad you came out! Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now on to Fall, huh? :) less than a year to go?

    Congrats on getting through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    It was less than a year on the day I started. :) When Fall semester starts there will be about eight months to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The really tricky part is keeping all that stuff from leaking out of your ears while you sleep...

    ReplyDelete