Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hyperventilation and tachycardia

I have just received my Authorization To Test (ATT). This is important. It means the state board of nursing has verified my graduation, and I am now allowed to sit the licensing exam.

NCLEX is a big deal. It's what we GNs have really been studying for over the past year. It is the beast that stalks our nightmares. Professors invoke its unnatural power to increase student attention, by reciting the mystic phrase: "You will need to know this for NCLEX."

It is of course a computer adaptive exam. It stops automatically as soon as you reach the passing mark, so if you're lucky and good, you can be done as early as question 75. Most people are not that lucky. The maximum limits are 265 questions and six hours. Plan on skipping lunch.

While typing this post I have been on hold with the testing center. As of this minute, I am scheduled to take the exam in early afternoon on Monday, June 6. I go now to bury myself in notes and flashcards until that time.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, honey. I'm taking mine in a few weeks. In a mild state of panic but I think I'll be okay. If I can pass the NCLEX predictor hungover and on two hours of sleep, I should be okay.

    ReplyDelete