Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Baby Steps and Fellowships

I had a phone interview with a recruiter for Large Hospital System. It went well enough because I've been invited to interview in person! Progress!

LHS does their fellowships differently than every other hospital I've talked to. They don't hire a brand-new nurse for any particular position. Instead they bring on a few dozen at a time and train them all at once. After the classroom work, they rotate everybody through clinical training in multiple specialties at multiple different hospitals. It sounds almost like a bigger, more focused extension of nursing school clinicals, except that this time I'd be getting paid to learn.

Successfully completing the training guarantees an offer for a full-time RN position. But though they take your aptitudes and preferences into account, you don't know ahead of time which position will be offered. It's entirely possible that I could be offered the ED or ICU position I really want, but there's also a chance that I'd wind up with an offer for psych, or OR, or something lower on my priority list

That's only a minor downside, and it's outweighed by the last upside: LHS does not ask for employment contracts! Nearly every hospital system around here requires a two-year work committment before you can start the fellowship. At this system, after completing it you're still only given a job offer, which you're free to decline. Even though I've got no plans to move or quit in the immediate future, I feel a lot more comfortable having the option just in case something weird comes up.

This sounds like a great opportunity. It's just going to take a little while to come to fruition. The interview is still a few weeks away, and the fellowship itself does not begin until late September sometime. I have already sent in all my applications and essays and recommendations, and confirmed that they were received, so now I've nothing to do on this front but wait.

(...and keep applying for more jobs elsewhere. Just in case.)

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great opportunity. I wish you well with it!
    -Starr

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an incredible opportunity! I would have loved to be able to participate in a program like this when I was first entering nursing.
    My first 6 months in nursing were a terribly stressful and difficult time for me. Having a focused and complex orientation like this into "real nursing" would have made things so much better!
    Good luck. Hope they offer it to you!

    ReplyDelete