Sunday, August 21, 2011

Everyday nursing

So I've officially accepted the hospital job. It doesn't start until mid-September, which means my next few weeks will look exactly like the previous few weeks. Yet I'll be a lot happier. Now that I have a start date, this is not unemployment; it's vacation!

But one of the coolest things about being a nurse is how my skills are useful even without a job. I'm not even talking about volunteer work. I mean just getting to answer healthcare questions for my friends and family. I love this.

Earlier this summer, my brother and his wife called with some pregnancy questions. A week ago a friend dropped something heavy on his foot, and wanted to know about the infection risk from his prescriptions. Last night, I helped a friend and his daughter figure out which OTC cold meds could be safely combined, and which would interact or overlap.

One day questions like this may become a chore, but right now I geek out at every chance to show off my RN superpowers. It's one of the reasons I'm sure I have chosen the right career. Back when I started as a techie, fixing mom's computer just never had the same zing to it.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the hospital job! Sounds like a good choice to me.

    I know what you mean about loving being able to answer some healthcare questions. Although I'm only new I loved being able to explain to my Mum why her old blood pressure medications cause her to cough and why her new tablets should be a lot better. Can't wait until I know more.

    ReplyDelete