Sunday, September 11, 2011

Irene Day 11: Wait, eleven? Really?

Days are flying past. I last posted here a week ago and it feels like no time at all.

I can't say that the minutes always go as fast. Sometimes I have to wait for paperwork, or for an assignment, or for a client to show up. But every day has been full enough that I've gone to my bed early and eagerly.

Part of the effort is just all the driving. My regional sub-HQ is covering many counties in northern New York State, to the tune of seven thousand square miles. That's an awful lot of space for a dozen nurses to cover. The damaged towns are mostly in pockets and concentrated areas-- e.g., along certain flooded creeks-- so we can see many clients on any one trip. But still I've put over 1300 miles on my rental car since I got here.

Tired as I am, the accomplishments are completely worth it. Today I helped more people who lost medical supplies and could not afford to replace them. Phone calls to the pharmacy, the doctor, the insurance company, back to the pharmacy. Often a supplier will waive fees for victims of disaster. Sometimes we negotiate a discount. If all else fails we issue monetary assistance. One way or another our clients will get their medications, or oxygen, or dentures, or whatever it is they need.

Perhaps no lives dramatically saved today. But maybe tomorrow, or next week, because people have their nitro or coumadin or insulin. If not saved, then someone's life improved, because he now has glasses and can start fixing his house. So glad I got the chance to come and do this.

It seems like every blog today has posted some kind of 9/11 observance. Me, I don't have much to say about those horrible events. My response instead is this: I'm trying my best to make the world a better place.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, you are making the world a better place one person at a time which, in my opinion, is the best and only way that improvements really work. You are truly doing an heroic job, volunteering, giving, and I am proud to know you. Teri-Ann

    ReplyDelete