Sunday, January 8, 2012

Contrast

Last time I worked, by 6:15 AM I was doing my final charting for the shift. By 7:00 I was on my way to the locker room, and I clocked out on schedule for the first time ever.

This morning at 6:15, I was busy wrestling with a disoriented and aggressive patient, trying to hold him still enough that we could get an IV started. At 7 I was still hanging on, immobilizing his arm so he couldn't thrash around and blow the one good vein we'd finally found, and waiting for the half milligram of IV Ativan to kick in. (Spoiler alert: one half milligram is a dose you give to old ladies. This guy never felt it.) Only later, once we had him safely calmed down and breathing well, did I get to finish my charting, pass meds, and leave.

One of these scenarios is much safer and makes falling asleep easier, but the other is a lot more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment