Friday, June 15, 2012

Job is Go!

I had my first emergency shift as an RN today. Woo! Adventure and excitement!

...tempered by two boring facts.

First and boringest, I don't yet have any of my login passwords. This means I can't chart and I can't check out medications from the drug cabinet. I was stuck doing physical jobs and watching over my preceptor's shoulder.

Second, this was the slowest day shift this ED has had in recent memory. They got less than one-quarter as many patients as they expect on an average Friday.

I was assigned a few patients, widely spread over the course of the day, but in between them I didn't know what to do with myself. For starters I practiced on new equipment, assisted with radiology, toured the building, memorized the stock room, and made myself a nuisance in triage. This still left me enough slack time to download and read an entire novel on my smartphone.

But hey, who cares about that stuff? I'm officially in my new job! The people are great, the environment seems fun, and I'm absolutely sure I'll soon have as many patients as I can handle. I'll enjoy the quiet while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment